1. Click on the "Databases" button on the MCC Library's home page.
2. Scroll through the list to search one of our eBook databases: Ebook Central, eBook Collection or our reference eBook databases: Credo Reference, Gale eBooks, The Reference Shelf.
You can also search for eBooks in the Library Catalog and Discovery Search.
3. If you find a book in one of the ebook databases, locate the document link in the book's record. Look for labeling such as "Share Link to Book" (ProQuest Ebook Central), "Permalink" (eBook Collection from Ebscohost), or "Bookmark" (Gale eBooks, top of page).
4. If you locate a book that is electronic (labeled with "electronic resource" in the title) in MCC's Advanced Book Search, locate and right click to copy the URL labeled "Click here for online access to this title through..."
5. Follow instructions to place the library content link in Brightspace.
6. In order for the link to work off-campus, if the ebook address you have copied and pasted does not include the following characters at the beginning of the URL:
followed by a second "http", please add the character string to the beginning. One exception is with ProQuest Ebook Central.
You can include an external link to a library page or resource within the Content, Discussions, or Assessments areas. Library links should always open in an external window and can be added to a module, topic, subtopic or assessment. You cannot create an external link to open directly from the Table of Contents; however, you can create a module for Table of Contents that includes a library link or other useful external links.
After selecting the library page or resource and locating the URL, within Brightspace, select the area you wish to add the link.
1. Click Upload/Create in the module menu.
2. Select Create a Link.
3. In the popup window, enter a title for the link and copy/paste or type in the URL. Check the box next to "Open as External Resource." While you cannot track the student progress of the link, you could track the content area in which the link is located. Click on Create.
4. If you want to include instructions or a description for the external library link, click on the context menu arrow next to the link title on the content page. Choose "Edit Properties In-place."
5. You can add dates and restrictions and a description that the student will see on the content page.
© McLennan Community College
1400 College Drive Waco, Texas 76708, USA
+1 (254) 299-8622